- 1 chicken, cut into eight pieces, or 4 chicken legs and 4 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound fingerling or small red potatoes, cut in half
- 2 leeks, thinly slices (only white and light green parts)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, steams removed and halved if large
- 1 can artichokes, 14.5 ounces, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ cup heavy cream or crème fraiche
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. In a shallow 5 QT SmartSteam™ or Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Brown a few pieces of chicken at a time, without overcrowding the pan, on both sides. Reduce the heat to medium if the oil starts to splatter. Set the browned chicken aside on a plate while you brown the remaining pieces.
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Add the leeks to the pan and season them with salt and pepper. Cook them over medium heat until they are slightly soften, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and the mushrooms. Sauté the vegetables for about 5 minutes. Turn up the heat to medium-high and add the wine and the stock. Allow the liquid to boil for 1 minute. Arrange the chicken on top of the vegetables and roast them for 30-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken on a platter and tent it with foil to keep it warm.
Place the leek mixture on the stop top and bring it to a boil, about 4-5 minutes, to reduce the liquid slightly. Stir in the artichokes, peas, cream, tarragon and parsley. Simmer the mixture for 2-3 minutes. Season it with salt and pepper.
To serve, pour the wine sauce over the chicken.