- 10 ounces extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped vegetables such as broccoli, red peppers, cabbage, edamame and scallions
- Cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
Coconut Curry Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 can lite coconut milk (can also use regular)
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Juice of a lime
To Make the Sauce:
Heat the oil in a 3 QT sauté pan and cook the onion, ginger and red curry paste for about 2 minutes over medium heat. Pour in the coconut milk, brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, chili sauce and lime juice. Simmer until the sauce is reduced and thickened about 15 minutes. Set aside.
Place the tofu on a cutting board lined with paper towel. Squeeze the excess moisture out of the tofu and cut it into squares.
In a medium bowl, toss together the cornstarch, flour and salt. Dredge the tofu in the cornstarch mixture, shaking of the excess.
Heat the oil in a wok over high heat. Fry the tofu in the hot oil (the tofu should sizzle when it hits the oil) until it is slightly browned and crispy on the outside, about 5 minutes. Remove the tofu to a paper towel lined plate.
Leave the remaining oil in the wok and add the veggies. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes until crisp tender. Add the tofu back to the wok and remove it from the heat.
Spoon the tofu and veggies over the rice and drizzle with a generous amount of the curry sauce. Garnish with cilantro and additional lime.