- 3 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 2 apples, cored and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 large onion, cut in a medium dice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a 5 QT Dutch oven. Blanch the green beans until they are just crisp-tender. Drain and set them aside.
In a large 12” skillet, brown the bacon over medium heat until it is crispy. Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Sauté the onion in the remaining bacon grease in the skillet over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the apples to the pan and sauté until the apples are just softened. Stir in the brown sugar and vinegar and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
Toss the green beans with the apple and onion mixture. Stir in the bacon. Season with salt and pepper and serve.