- 1 pound small shaped pasta such as macaroni or shells
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- ½ cup mascarpone or cream cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk or half and half
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound broccoli, chopped
- ½ bacon, cooked and crumbled
Preheat oven to 425°F. Chop the broccoli into bite sized pieces. Toss it in the olive oil and season it with salt and pepper. Roast the broccoli on a medium baking sheet for 15 minutes or until it is slightly browned. Set it aside.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. I recommend slightly undercooking the pasta, since it continues to cook when you bake the casserole. Drain it and set it aside.
Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small mixing bowl. Add the panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan and parsley.
Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a 5 QT Dutch oven or SmartSteam™ over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to create a roux. Cook it for about 2 minutes. Add the milk, Dijon and tabasco sauce, constantly whisking. Bring the mixture to a simmer until it is thickened. Slowly add in the cheddar, Gruyere, fontina and mascarpone. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Stir in the pasta and mix well. Pour into a greased 13”x9” baking pan or casserole. Top it with the roasted broccoli, bacon crumbles and the breadcrumbs.
Bake the mac and cheese for 30 minutes and serve it immediately.